Access to CPRD data is subject to protocol approval by an Independent Scientific Advisory Committee (ISAC). ISAC is a non-statutory expert advisory body established in 2006 by the Secretary of State for Health to provide scientific advice on research requests to access data provided by CPRD.
ISAC protocol review is carried out to ensure that investigators using the databases for research have viable plans which do not raise governance concerns and reach an acceptable scientific standard.
All protocols must be submitted to the ISAC Secretariat. Visit the Research applications page for futher information
New client or funder request for access to CPRD data
Potential clients of CPRD data are requested to provide the information in a form below to CPRD’s Senior Management Team to determine the organisation’s suitability to access CPRD data. Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Consider and provide advice to the MHRA on the feasibility, quality and public health value of research studies proposing use of anonymised patient level data from the CPRD.
- Provide timely and high-quality peer reviews on the scientific (medical, epidemiological, methodological) merit of research protocols proposing access and use of CPRD data.
- Highlight important ethical or confidentiality issues that may arise during access and/or use of CPRD data in research studies, taking into consideration input from the Confidentiality Advisory Group or research ethics committees.
- Advise on, and contribute to, the scientific content of guidance relating to the development of research protocols proposing access and use of data from CPRD.
- Review internal workings of the Committee to ensure consistency, efficiency and high standards of peer-review are maintained.
- Advise on other specific issues as requested.
Appointments to ISAC are made on merit and in accordance with the principles of the Code of Practice for Scientific Advisory Committees and Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.
ISAC members, as of January 2021:
- Chair: Professor Deborah Saltman AM MBBS MD MRCGP FRACGP FAFPHM GAICD
- Deputy Chair: Professor Richard Stevens BA MSc PhD Associate Professor, Medical Statistics Group, Nuffield Dept of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford
- Professor Krishnan Bhaskaran MSc PhD, Professor of Statistical Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Professor Sinead Brophy BSc PhD Professor of CIPHER, College of Medicines, Swansea University
- Dr Benjamin Cairns PhD, Senior Statistician Epidemiologist, Nuffield Dept of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford
- Mrs Rosie Cornish Lecturer, School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol
- Professor Martin Gulliford, Professor of Public Health, King’s College London
- Professor David Fishwick MBChB FRCP (Glasgow and London) AFOM MD, Honorary Professor of Occupational and Environmental Respiratory Disease, University of Sheffield
- Dr Kate Fleming MA Cantab MSc PhD PGCHE, Senior Lecturer in Social Epidemiology, University of Liverpool
- Dr Iskandar Idris, Associate Professor in Diabetes and Vascular Medicine, University of Nottingham
- Professor Umesh Kadam MB ChB MRCGP MPhil & PhD, Professor of Primary Care & Public Health Research, Diabetes Research Centre, University of Leicester
- Professor Evangelos Kontopantelis PhD, Professor and Data Sciences Health Services Research, Division of Informatics, Imaging and Data Sciences, University of Manchester
- Professor Richard Martin B.Med.Sci., B.M.,B.S.(Nott.), M.Sc.(Lond.), M.R.C.G.P., PhD Professor of Clinical Epidemiology, University of Bristol
- Dr Emily McFadden MA (Cantab) MSc PhD Senior Statistical Epidemiologist - Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford
- Professor Andrew Morris BSc MSc PhD, Professor of Statistical Genetics. Division of Musculoskeletal & Dermatological Sciences, University of Manchester.
- Professor Keith Neal Emeritus Professor in the Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Nottingham and Consultant Epidemiologist, for the Field Epidemiology Service, Public Health England
- Dr Grace Okoli PhD, MBChB, MRCGP, NIHR Clinical Lecturer, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London
- Professor Jennifer Quint PhD Clinical Senior Lecturer Respiratory Epidemiology, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London
- Dr Hester Ward Consultant in Public Health Medicine (Health Informatics) London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Dr Paul Welsh, Senior Lecturer, Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow
- Professor Ian Wong Chair in Pharmacy Practice, UCL School of Pharmacy and University of Hong Kong